Thursday, May 11, 2006

Going medieval on communication

So let me get this straight. The government keeps records of all of my telephone calls through the NSA. It searches through all of our e-mail looking for bad words through the FBI's Raptor program (is that still out there?). Any document I send through the mail is obviously going into their hands. If I truly want to keep Uncle Sam out of my personal communications, then my options are becoming pretty narrow. A few alternatives:

Carrier pigeons. Advantage: Dependable as an age-old resource for sending messages long distance. Disadvantage: Not as quick as a text message and they like to crap on my car.

Two paper cups and a string. Advantage: Relays a message just as quickly as a telephone. Also, more environmentally friendly than a similar model that uses styrofoam cups. Disadvantage: Not as effective over distances greater than about twenty feet. Besides, there's a lot of string in between for General Hayden to tap into.


Yelling. Advantage: Direct and immediate. Your message can travel to its recipient at the speed of sound. Disadvantage: Doesn't do much for me in the way of privacy, which is my primary concern with phone and computer communications in the first place. That, and it tends to be somewhat disruptive and distracting in an office setting.

This entire charade is utterly rediculous. Come 2008, I'll take Hillary over more of this. And I shutter to think I just wrote that.

8 Comments:

Blogger Valerie said...

Hilarious.

Thu May 11, 02:51:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Big Sky Girl said...

I can't believe that you just wrote that either. Don't worry, I'll find someone better than Hillary for you to vote for in 2008.

Another downside to pigeons is that you have to feed them. Personally, I advocate smoke signals.

If you like the NSA story, then you'll love this. Remember when CNN bought Wesley Clark's cell phone records? Well we hauled the owners of the company selling the records in front of a committee where they announced that their number one client was the FBI. If the chairman could have beat his head off the table he would have.

Thu May 11, 05:31:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, Clarkie, Hillary? Welcome to the dark side, Bwh Hah ha hah ha... we have jackets.
But seriously, there are times I seriously feel like I am living in the middle of a George Orwell yarn!

Fri May 12, 12:47:00 AM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I nearly fell of my chair reading that. Are you sure you're okay? How far you've come from your high school libertarian days. ;)

Fri May 12, 05:50:00 PM CDT  
Blogger T-Mac said...

I hear Lucy has a bird we can use to carry our messages.

Sat May 13, 02:38:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Your Friendly Neighborhood Clark Bar said...

I'm serious. I've spent eight long years barely clinging to my Republican affiliation in hopes that they might elect a real Republican once Bush isn't allowed to run anymore. And I miss Clinton. How f'd up is that? I don't like Hillary...and I always get that weird feeling like you have when you hear the score to The Omen, but could she really be worse than what we have right now? I mean, go look up the Shamrock op from back in the 70s. It's the exact reason they set up FISA in the first place and it's no different from what Bush is doing today.

Grrr. I want a President with good intentions who can score higher than Vince Young on the Wonderlic. Is that too much to ask? Until then, I guess it's Lucy's carrier pigeon.

Mon May 15, 12:36:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Big Sky Girl said...

I feel your pain, fighting the good fight is hard when everyone around you seems to be selling out.

Either they're choosing bigger salaries over their own morals. Or choosing their fear and need for power over the rights and freedoms of others.

I guess I've finally come to the conclusion that I have no party. It makes it tough to work in such a partisan environment. Sometimes I think it would be easier to pretend to be more conservative to get hired easily, but then I'd just end up working for an ass that I hate.

I miss Clinton too. Balanced budgets. Good Economy. Good global relationships. 99 cents a gallon for gas. The good old days;-)

Mon May 15, 01:00:00 PM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://entertainment.msn.com/tv/hotgossip5?GT1=7703

Wed May 17, 05:45:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home