Friday, October 20, 2006

A Minnesota Nice Mugging

My family all know about this by now, so I don't suppose there's any harm in bringing it up here. I had my first mugging two weeks ago. On Friday night, I was walking home from Brit's after hanging out with Marie, Sejal and Matt at about 1:20 in the a.m. Lea was working a night shift. I walked past the Hyatt along the Loring Greenway towards the door to my building's parking garage (since it's the nearest entrance). I use my keycard to open the door and am about halfway to the door to the building itself when I hear footsteps behind me. I turn and find a gentleman literally two feet away staring right at me. He tries to step in front of me.

"Where you goin' son?"

Kinda started to get the idea where this was going, so I tried going around him. He blocks my path.

"Gimme your money."

I start to take a step back away from him as he reaches behind his back.

"I got a gun and I'll ****in' kill you. Now gimme your money."

At that point I knew things were serious. I told him that I only had a few bucks, but that I'd give it to him. I slowly pulled out my wallet, opened it, handed him eleven dollars and showed him the empty inside. He accepted the cash and thought for a few seconds while staring at the empty wallet.

"I ain't gonna take your license or cards or nothing 'cause you cool."

Well that's nice. And that's when it started to get weird. I started to back away and turn towards the door to the main building. My mugger starts to apologize. He said that he'd been homeless for the previous few days and was "new at this."

"Hey, if you need help from people, then just ask them. There's no reason to threaten a person's life. That's not cool."

He apologized again and offered to give me a dollar of my money back. I declined.

He broke for the door and I went in to tell the front desk of the building, call the police, etc. I've since found out that there have been a recent rash of such episodes on the Greenway, the worst of which involved three men who attacked a woman who had to go to the hospital for treatment afterwards. The building, to its credit, has increased its security measures and (I hear, anyway), hired a different security company. Didn't even know they had a security company. So I suppose that's a positive development. And truth be told, I came off fairly easy. I lost 11 bucks. Shoot, he was lucky I even had any cash since I never carry any. But it make you start to act a bit differently in public afterwards. I always make sure the door shuts behind me now and constantly check to see if anyone is behind me. I don't use the Greenway to get home after nine. I keep the safety on my piece off so I can get a shot off more quickly if I need to.

So that's my big city mugger story. Here's to hoping I can keep the count at just one. :o)

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW. What a nice mugger. You really do live in Minnesota. Mine weren't nearly so nice. They took my whole purse and no apology, although since it was the South, I did get called "ma'am".

I know it's a scary experience, and I'm glad you're ok! *big hug*

Fri Oct 20, 08:07:00 PM CDT  
Blogger melissa o said...

I gasped outloud when I first read - and then I couldn't stop laughing. Especially "I keep the safty on my piece off so I can get a shot off more quickly."

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

I realize that it's not REALLY funny - in fact, it terrifies me (especially because Matt frequents Brit's)

I am glad that you are safe.

Fri Oct 20, 08:30:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm glad you are ok. I have never been mugged. The last time I was in DC I was with 2 girls who would just openly give money to street people, so I guess I am lucky we didn't get mugged.

Sat Oct 21, 11:21:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Your Friendly Neighborhood Clark Bar said...

Shea: Naw, they haven't. I went and looked at some mug shots last week, but I kinda doubt they will. They did get the whole thing on film, though, which I would be interested in seeing. Apparently it's too poor of quality to ID the guy.

Sat Oct 21, 05:41:00 PM CDT  
Blogger LawNut said...

Man, people suck. I'm really glad that you made it out of that ok, though - it could definitely have been way worse. t

Mon Oct 23, 10:27:00 AM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home