Wednesday, July 20, 2005

And while we're on the subject of weddings...

Here's a quandry. Marriages are contracts. They used to be contracts between a suitor and the bride's father. In some cultures, the suitor would pay some consideration to the bride's family, essentially buying himself a wife. In others, the bride's family would pay the suitor a dowry in exchange for taking her off their hands.

The modern view of marriage is much different though. It's a contract between two individuals agreeing to enter into a relationship. Many of the customs of a marriage that come from the old view are now being done away with. More and more often, both families split the bill instead of putting it all on the bride's family. At most weddings I've been to recently, the groom is walked down the aisle by his parents. Both families are asked who is giving away the bride and groom. The entire ceremony is supposed to be as reflexive as possible.

All except for one thing. I wear one ring. She wears two. Well before the wedding ever happens, a guy is expected to invest some dough into a nice diamond ring for his fiancee to wear and show off to her friends.

Now here's my beef. Women have initiated many of the changes to the whole marriage process to make it more equal. I agree with all of them and think that they more accurately reflect what a marriage is/should be. So why hasn't there been any move to balance the whole engagement process? Shouldn't I get something neat to show off to my buddies in exchange for the big rock-on-a-ring?

As a means to equalizing engagements for men, women should have to proffer some type of engagement gift. It doesn't have to be a ring. While rings are pretty and shiny, we don't get the same kick out of them that women do. Besides, shiny objects distract us. Clearly not the way to go. Instead, women should take the same amount of money and spend it on a nice engagement plasma screen TV...or perhaps an engagement barbeque. I know that I personally could use some engagement Pings to replace my current set of clubs.

Items like these would go a long way toward serving the same purposes as a ring: they would serve as a symbol of love and commitment, as well as give your special man something to show all of his friends just how lucky he is to be engaged to her.

Dammit, I love equality. After we get this thing moving, we need to see about getting couches in our restrooms too.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally agree, which is why I blogged obsessively during our engagement about my desire for as much equality possible in all things marital.

I told Dan that I not only didn't need an engagement ring, he didn't even have to propose to me- I'd do myself (Would have been so easy- Yankees Stadium Jumbotron would have made his life). He said he wanted to, though, and could he please do it, so I said, sure. (You didn't mention this aspect- what do you think about the proposal situation?)

No diamonds, though- they're way too expensive for a law student on loans, and they're politically sketchy anyway (blood diamonds, etc.) I asked for my birthstone, a sapphire, and I love it. I asked if he wanted a piece of jewelry. He said no. Seemed happy with engagement sexual favors and whatnot. ;-) But you can't say I didn't ask! I am a feminist's feminist!

Wed Jul 20, 12:45:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Your Friendly Neighborhood Clark Bar said...

Actually, funny you should mention that. I thought about including the whole proposal thing in the post.

I've told mayo nurse that under no conditions will I propose. I already did that once and we ultimately decided to cancel the engagement. If we're to get re-engaged, then it's her turn. She thought I was kidding at first. Now she's come to realize that I'm serious. She seems to have grown on the idea. That's all still a little ways down the road though...

Wed Jul 20, 01:23:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Your Friendly Neighborhood Clark Bar said...

BTW, you knew Joey Washburn from NAU, right?

Wed Jul 20, 01:23:00 PM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course! Back then he was Joey from SOC and I beat him good a couple times. :-P

Wed Jul 20, 10:11:00 PM CDT  
Blogger michelle said...

It's better to stay single and just buy presents for each other...

Sat Jul 23, 06:29:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Cristina said...

well if u'd let us propose without having a nervous breakdown then you'd deserve a nice present for your brave attitude..other than that.....

no no I am so not like that, no way! fair enough, guy gets plasma tv or seasonal football ticket or whatevaer..but then why am I stuck with the old fashioned ring, more often than not having been worn by generations of dead women in his family? not pleasant!
I'd be more than happy with the new tv too. or how about an engagement shopping spree (damn, I'd have to find a new fiancé every season..)

that said, last proposal I had, at the way too tender age of 22,...well the ring should still be somewhere near the very romantic palatine hill.
he not only got refused. he lost the ring in the process too (ooops did I just throw that away so viciously, you two-faced, cheating, whimpy, maiale?!)

Thu Jul 28, 08:43:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Your Friendly Neighborhood Clark Bar said...

Wait--some guy gets up the nerve to propose and you threw away the ring? Hope there are more details to the story than that. Sounds a bit harsh.

Shopping spree's a good idea, but I tend to think that it needs to at least be something tangible. Just covering a shopping spree is akin to getting someone an engagement gift certificate. Kinda impersonal, ya know?

Fri Jul 29, 09:09:00 AM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Because a plasma screen or set of Pings, unlike the gift certificate, is oh so personal.

It's a ring because it's all about tradition and symbolic promise. I'm all for guys wearing rings too, and it does happen -- look to Christian P.

Problem is, it's hard enough to get one ring on a guy, much less two... (who wants that pesky ring on during something as important as a bachelor party).

Mon Aug 08, 12:33:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Your Friendly Neighborhood Clark Bar said...

Hells yes it's more personal. If someone got me some engagement Pings, I'd know that they're taking an interest. With a gift certificate, they might as well just cut you a check. No dice.

Mon Aug 08, 02:03:00 PM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brett! Just figured out that it was you over here... nice:).

So.. when did you get married?
Glad to see you're in law school... remember when you and joey were at camp and mike and I hugn with you? MikeO is now moving to oregon state to coach debate... weird.. it all comes full cirlce:)

Thu Aug 11, 01:39:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Your Friendly Neighborhood Clark Bar said...

Bridget--Sorry, haven't looked at this post in forever. I'm not getting married quite yet. Long story. Still together with Lea though.

I miss the ole MSUB camp. That place frickin rocked. What're you doing these days?

Tue Aug 16, 11:46:00 AM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home