Saturday, July 15, 2006

Update

Still studying for the bar, which leaves me almost completely uninspired as far as the blog is concerned. This thing'll be done in about a week and a half and I absolutely cannot wait. I feel like studying is going pretty well so far. The written exams are what concern me the most though. I've got this horrible feeling that at least one will be a federal income tax problem, mortgage seniority, or something else that I'm absolutely awful at.

In the mean time, I've got a good playoff beard going. It's never a good idea, but what the hell. I need whatever luck I can get. It looks two-thirds rediculous--mostly dark brown with nice patches of red and blonde peppered in there (the Amazing Technicolor Beard). Lea would love me to shave the thing off, but then I might fail the bar. Can't do it.

Which brings me to another issue--the wedding is coming up pretty soon here. Only 69 days to the Big Shebang in the Big Sky. Lea and I are both getting pretty psyched for it. She's putting together all of the invitations and I'm...you know, doing stuff. I don't know if I've ever posted it here or not, but the site is www.brettandlea.com.

Anyway, I should be getting back to the grind. Parting thoughts on the exam from an article by Jeremy Blachman (known to the world as Anonymous Lawyer) printed in the Wall Street Journal that Charlie sent me earlier in the week:

Most people say the worst part is doing hundreds and hundreds of practice multiple choice questions, but I think the worst part is how doing those multiple choice questions makes you feel about the world. Nothing good ever happens to the people in practice bar exam questions. Everyone who crosses the street gets hit by a car, every doctor botches the surgery, parachutes never open, contracts never get fulfilled, anyone who uses a lawnmower ends up in the hospital, as soon as you write a will your whole family dies, employee benefit plans never pay out their benefits, computers all get viruses, your friends are always intoxicated, stealing your farm equipment, and driving it into the barn, police search you all the time for no good reason, you can never find a good place to hide your weapons, banks never recognize a signature as a forgery, and the forger always flees the country.

Not that it's any better for criminals. Arsonists never burn down what they mean to, thieves always end up murdering someone, conspirators can never convince their fellow criminals to back out, no
one is ever given access to their lawyers before questioning, and spring guns go off in everyone's garage, each time killing the neighbor kid who just meant to return the tools he'd borrowed.

Anyway, good luck to everyone else in the hunt. I'm out.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good effort, Brett...

Sun Jul 16, 08:34:00 PM CDT  
Blogger T-Mac said...

I'm a big fan of game-day-stubble, let me know how it turns out for the bar.

Mon Jul 17, 03:41:00 PM CDT  
Blogger LawNut said...

Check out today's post on Thinking Fool, just for you bar-takers. Good luck!

Tue Jul 18, 08:58:00 AM CDT  
Blogger melissa o said...

GOOD LUCK on the bar! You will do fantastic! I will let you know when we get in the city - maybe you and I and Matt (my husband) and Lea can meet up for dinner or coffee or something...

Tue Jul 18, 10:54:00 AM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home