Thursday, July 27, 2006

What I've learned from the bar exam.

No. 1. Never name your kid anything that starts with a P, D, or V. Any person named Paul, Peter, or Patricia is going to get hit by a car. They are predestined to become plaintiffs, who are inevitably injured by unfortunate souls named David, Dewayne, or Donna. Life is even worse for Vincent, Victor, or Veronica--these folks are going to get straight up murdered.

No. 2. The bar does not test your ability to serve a client. You do not want the attorney who aced the MBE. Why? The MBE does not test your knowledge of the best possible answer in a given situation. It tests your ability to pick the third or fourth best answer in a field of four. They intentionally leave the straightforward, sensible options out. So when Manufacturer produces a lawnmower blade and Worker is injured as a result of using it to cut heavy weeds instead of grass, your MBE power attorney is the guy who's thinking, "Plaintiff using a lawnmower to cut thick weeds instead of grass? Totally unforeseeable!" Either that, or you've got the Crazy Hypothetical Guy from tort law. He's the only one that some of these fact patterns make sense to. Either that, or the test taker is required to pick the least wrong answer from a field of four obviously incorrect choices.


No. 3. Banks very rarely record their mortgages. Pretty common phenomenon apparently. And on every such occasion, the mortgagor either takes out three more mortgages before defaulting or sells the property to good faith purchasers for value without notice. Or both.

No. 4. No one has marketable title.

No. 5. The Bar does strange things to people. I can't explain it. I also wonder if this kind of thing was happening in other states where they were testing. Between the Minnesota essays, MPT and MBE, there were:
  • People puking all over the John;
  • Women leaving the testing area and bawling in the women's restroom in the midst of the exam;
  • One guy who apparently pulled his tooth out during the essays and started bleeding all over the place; and
  • One woman who had a panic attack during the MBE and, word has it, was taken to the hospital.
Bottom line: it's over. I'm done with it. I sparred with the beast and feel like I did okay (knock on wood). But one thing is for sure--I absolutely do not want to be doing this again in February.

Alright, I'm gonna head to Clerks II. Bill J. describes it as good "but disturbing"...Something about "guy-on-donkey." I dunno. We'll see. Still disappointed that Kevin Smith ditched the original working title, The Passion of the Clerks.

Congrats on being done to my fellow examinees.

8 Comments:

Blogger T-Mac said...

Wait, some guy pulled a freaking tooth out? I'm proud of you for resisting the temptation to go temporarily insane and I'm sure you did well. When will you know? I liked Clerks 2--pillow pants alone was worth the price of admission. :-)

Thu Jul 27, 11:27:00 PM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on being done!!!! Knowing you, Brett, I'm sure you did great. :) At least it's over and done with, that's the important thing. Hope all is well with you over there. I've been thinking about you and Lea these past few days. Take care!

Fri Jul 28, 09:35:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Your Friendly Neighborhood Clark Bar said...

Thanks guys. Feels good.

Add to the list of bizarre bar exam behavior a guy who fell asleep for two minutes or so during the essays the first day and started bleeding out his leg the second day. Here's what adds to the weirdness: Apparently the proctor was Johnny on the spot with the bandages. I seriously think they're used to seeing all this type of stuff.

Fri Jul 28, 11:01:00 AM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't forget to add to the list the guy with irritable bowel syndrome. The girl next to him dubbed him "the farter."

Fri Jul 28, 07:27:00 PM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on being done. :)

On your #2 (heh, debate habits die hard I guess), it sounds a lot like the LSAT in that respect. Going in I knew that it was not going to be testing my potential skills as an attorney, and the questions that asked "which of these is the least wrong answer" were absolutely annoying. What am I going to do as an attorney? "Okay sir, here are four options of the worst kinds of legal services I can provide. Which would you prefer?"

Sat Jul 29, 01:02:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Gopher-Goof said...

I hope I didn't earn "the farter" title. But I was locked in a "methane deathmatch" with the guy next to me, I was answering his "attacks" with non-deadly force in self-defense.

I didn't realize that somebody required hopitalization, that's one less person we have to beat.

Congrats.

Mon Jul 31, 11:15:00 AM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!!

I'm sure St. Thomas More came through for you.

As an accountant with a son who's a lawyer, I get an extra kick from the bar exam stories. The CPA exam was three days long, but did not seem to produce the same anxiety. Or has time distorted my memory?

Tue Aug 01, 09:09:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Valerie said...

I got such a chuckle out of this. I really miss those days.

Fri Aug 04, 10:43:00 AM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home