Thursday, August 17, 2006

A conversation overheard at New Line Cinema circa May, 2005.

"Bill, I think we've got a fresh idea for a movie."

"Alright, lay it on me."

"Well, it involves Samuel L. Jackson on a plane."

"I like it. Go on."

"OK. And there's, like, an assassin on there."

"To kill Samuel L. Jackson?"

"Uh, no. Someone else. Maybe someone in Witness Protection or something. Doesn't matter. Focus on Sammy here."

"K."

"And Samuel L. Jackson saves the entire plane."

"Huh. Pretty good, but it needs something more. Guns? Bombs? Jihad?"

(silence)

"What about some snakes?"

"Snakes! Great! But if you're trying to assassinate somebody on a plane, would you really use snakes? I mean, you're still stuck on the plane too. There's just as good a chance that you're going to get bitten as the other guy. That, and it's kind of an inefficient way to kill a guy, isn't it? Wouldn't it be better just to shoot the guy or poison his cereal or--"

"Dude--Samuel L. Jackson. Plane. Snakes."

"Yeah, you're right...Bob, do you ever wonder if Americans will someday bore of the ill-conceived raunch we constantly subject them to?"

"No!"

"Me neither!"

(The two share a guttural laugh.)

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't find it now, but I saw an article on line yesterday entitled "Poop on a plane." Naturally, I assumed it was an early review of the film that pretty much summed up my first impression of it. Much to my chagrin, it was actually a "hard" news story about the amount of waste the hundreds of snakes used in the film produced. Quote the snake handler, "snakes will pretty much just poop anywhere." Great story. Compelling and rich.

Thu Aug 17, 04:12:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Your Friendly Neighborhood Clark Bar said...

"Look at that...That squirrel can waterski."

Thu Aug 17, 04:20:00 PM CDT  
Blogger melissa o said...

I am refusing to watch it. First off, it could quite possibly be my biggest nightmare, secondly, I just can't watch it without laughing...

So you really think American Idol?

Thu Aug 17, 07:30:00 PM CDT  
Blogger T-Mac said...

I'm so fucking excited about this movie I can't even put it into words...the unintentional comedy will be off the charts great. Seriously, throw back a few beers and walk to the theatre and I promise you, you'll enjoy it! :-)

Thu Aug 17, 09:59:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Your Friendly Neighborhood Clark Bar said...

You might be right...I'll probably rent it at the very least.

I read on IMDB that Samuel L. Jackson signed on to do the movie solely because of the title. They tried changing it to Pacific Air Flight 171 or something like that and he strong armed them into changing it back.

Thu Aug 17, 10:26:00 PM CDT  
Blogger T-Mac said...

Yup, I heard that too. I also heard that the "motherfucking snakes" like wasn't in the original cut of the movie and when they saw a fan site that had made that sound clip, they re-shot a scene to get that line in the movie. AWESOME. :-)

Sat Aug 19, 01:45:00 AM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I plan on seeing it. ;) I'm looking forward to laughing my ass off.

Sun Aug 20, 08:09:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home