Friday, June 24, 2005

A matter of allegiances...


Just to highlight the differences between Blue and Red America, this is a picture I took yesterday in the courtyard in between the Hennepin County Courthouse and Hennepin County Government Center.

Now, in Montana, it's not uncommon to fly the Canadian flag alongside the state flag and the American flag since Montana is a border state and we tend to have more in common with Alberta and Saskatchewan than with most of the states in our own union.

Hennepin County also flies three flags: the American flag, the Minnesota state flag, and the United Nations flag. Posting this banner at a government building would be absolutely inconceivable back home in the Rocky Mountain West, where it is not uncommon to see "US out of UN!" billboards on the interstate.

Anyway, I've got to get to work, but I figured the Agitator and Tommy Kramer would get a kick out of Blue and White flying high in Minnesota.

P.S. I suspect that the UNGA stole the color scheme from our Fragile Nancies softball jerseys in designing that thing... Posted by Hello

5 Comments:

Blogger Your Friendly Neighborhood Clark Bar said...

I'm still trying to figure out when exactly it started. It would certainly be curious if they started flying it during or just before the war.

Fri Jun 24, 11:42:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Big Sky Girl said...

Is this just a minnesota thing? Or do all blue states subscribe to the UN flag waving? Weird.

Fri Jun 24, 12:11:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Your Friendly Neighborhood Clark Bar said...

I don't know. I only live in one.

Fri Jun 24, 01:16:00 PM CDT  
Blogger el said...

Interesting. I know Texas wouldn't do that... Don't think I've ever spent much time in any blue state though. Yep, I only know red.

Fri Jun 24, 02:24:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Your Friendly Neighborhood Clark Bar said...

Doubtful in Texas...Might see the occasional pale blue burning, but that's about all the play I can imagine the UN flag getting.

Fri Jun 24, 03:28:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home