Thursday, July 28, 2005

The Law Firm

I swore to everyone I know that I wasn't going to watch this damn show. But I have to see it before I can really make fun of it. So I'm watching it right now.

What a frickin' crock. I hate all of these people already. At the very beginning they get together, grab ass, and measure cocks with one another.

Everything that's wrong with fake law shows like The Practice and what not is exhibited ten fold in this show. It's overdramatized Law and Order crap, complete with the dramatic music in the background, the yelling, and the unnecessarily intense emotions at awkward points in time--all interjected, of course, with commentary from the participants that Nancy just isn't pulling her weight, Olivier is a sore loser, that bitch tryin' to destroy me, etc. Here's my problem: the law isn't interesting if you're not a lawyer. It's actually pretty boring. I tried explaining to Mayo Nurse last week what personal jurisdiction is. She was less than enthralled.

But that's what we do, ya know? It isn't all broken contracts between extremely rich people who it turns out were hiding their lesbian relationship or a revenge murder for attempting female circumcision on the defendant's daughter. And there definitely isn't some perfect piece of evidence that will be found at minute 45 of the episode. Unfortunately, that's what people see on NBC and as a result, it's what the expect in the court room as jurors. They expect ironclad evidence, timely conclusions, and most of all, entertainment. When that's not the case, the presumption is that someone hasn't done their job.

You want a reality tv show about a big law firm? Here it is: write me a memo. I'm going golfing. Watch that, America.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dan has explained promissory estoppel to me at least 5 times since we started dating a year and a half ago. It's REALLY hot.

Fri Jul 29, 07:36:00 PM CDT  
Blogger jomama said...

Oh, my. And here I thought all the
Law Shows on TV were just a replay
of the law as it was.

I'm speechless.

Sat Jul 30, 10:47:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Your Friendly Neighborhood Clark Bar said...

Sure, scoff. It's a real problem. People expect Sam Waterton in that courtroom.

Sun Jul 31, 01:00:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Dan said...

It's funny, because most criminal cases are really open and shut. We have the gun, we have witnesses, we have the drugs, whatever. That piece of evidence doesn't show up at minute 45, it's found right in the guy's apartment, on the kitchen counter.

I've heard a bunch of police and prosecutors describe it the same way: the only reason the system of law and order works is because criminals are, for the most part, complete idiots. That doesn't play quite as well on television, though.

Tue Aug 02, 10:24:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Your Friendly Neighborhood Clark Bar said...

Agreed. Law school has only reinforced my Hobbesian worldview.

Tue Aug 02, 01:30:00 PM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...but, but, I LIKE Law and Order. It's a great tv show. I mean, who *wouldn't* want Sam Watterson to be your attorney?

Tue Aug 02, 11:26:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home