Thursday, October 06, 2005

Libertarianism is a hereditary disorder.

That's the conclusion I've come to. Those who know me also know I've described myself as a Republican since I was a freshman in college. Those who know me better know that I probably have no business in the Republican Party. And those who have known me since high school know that I am a recovering Libertarian. Over the years, I've seriously pondered what caused me to get so caught up in the rich man's anarchy. For awhile I blamed debate and Harry Browne, but I've since come to more properly diagnose the problem. It's genetic.

Makes perfect sense. My dad is a banker. My uncle is bit of a conspiracy theorist. My paternal family would probably be engaged in a holy war if it weren't for an unspoken intrafamily Establishment Clause. Years after the Libertarian bit started, I found out not only that my grandparents and another uncle are former Libertarians, but that my grandparents actually attended the 1980 Libertarian National Convention. They say they have a picture of themselves with Ed Clark, though I don't have a copy. Working on it.

Anyway, this is the clincher. This is from a scrapbook my mom put together for me when I graduated from high school. And I swear to God it's real. It's a Martin Luther King Day assignment from the second grade. Since then, my handwriting has gotten progressively worse and I have not learned to read a single direction on any assignment given to me.

It's a relief to know that my four year ideological derailment wasn't my fault. I have to admit, though, it is kinda disappointing to go from the anarcho-capitalist guy voted class radical in high school to a center-left moderate who doesn't even know that he isn't a Republican. I miss the conviction of my youth...

8 Comments:

Blogger Gopher-Goof said...

Thanks for swinging by my blog. Read a little bit of your blog, it is great.

Ya I'm a 3L, feeling the same need to be at work more than at class. In fact I attended about 25% of my classes this week. Oh well.

I'll trade you blog-roll listings, if your interested. Maybe if we generate enough traffic we can just sell ads and not have to worry about earning livings as lawyers.

Thu Oct 06, 07:42:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Your Friendly Neighborhood Clark Bar said...

Yeah, I'm game. I've been meaning to set up a separate blawg roll anyway.

Ugh, moot court brief tonight. You involved in that at all?

Thu Oct 06, 08:18:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Big Sky Girl said...

I don't know what is funnier that you wanted to change the status quo by firing the government or that your teacher felt the need to affirm this choice.

Wow, maybe I won't vote for you for president someday.

Thu Oct 06, 09:20:00 PM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two questions:

1. Why do you still have that assignment, especially in small apartment.

2. What grade did you get? Because it appears you only wrote one sentence with a lot of extra space. Remember to always tell us why.... F.

Sat Oct 08, 01:21:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Your Friendly Neighborhood Clark Bar said...

My mom kept a lot of that sort of thing in a bag in the basement. She went through it around high school graduation and, as I said, put it in a scrapbook.

And yeah, after completely disregarding the directions on it, I probably shouldn't have gotten credit, but for the poignant simplicity of it.

Sat Oct 08, 04:22:00 PM CDT  
Blogger AMGL said...

I agree.

Mon Oct 10, 08:19:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Cristina said...

me you and berlusconi talkin politics might be very interesting, I reckon..

And I am off to take a few pics of the coliseum and all the old stuff all because of your comment on my blog!
you want the ruins? you'll get the ruins! ;-)

Tue Oct 11, 12:46:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Your Friendly Neighborhood Clark Bar said...

Wicked kewl. And maybe I'll go and take a few pictures of...Huh....Not much in the way of landmarks around here. Probably a neat fountain somewhere.

Tue Oct 11, 01:27:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home