Monday, June 12, 2006

Oooh.....That was ugly.


The Czech Republic smacked Team USA so hard their mothers felt it. 3-0 sounds like a relatively minor loss in, say, baseball terms, but is apparently more like a 55-10 thumping in the soccer world. I don't know what I expected--we got thrashed in Olympic hockey (men's and women's), failed to make any magic at the World Baseball Classic (which included an embarrassing loss to Canada), and not only took home our first bronze ever in Olympic basketball, but managed to get our asses kicked by our own damned colony in the process. The idea that we might dominate in a globally loved sport that we're not even supposed to be good at never should have even crossed my mind. I occasionally joke around that we should start some sort of World Cup of American Football, but the way things are going, I'm afraid we'd end up losing the semifinal to Guam or some dinky country in the former Yugoslavia.

Oh, and Nike is still whoring that "Beware US Soccer Strikes" bit, with the snake wrapped around the soccer ball. I don't think this World Cup is going to do much for making soccer popular in the US. Sorry folks.

Plain damned embarrassing. We better get our s*&% together for Italy on Saturday. If we can beat the Italians and the Italians lose to the Czechs, then assuming we beat Ghana, then we can still slip into the knockout rounds.
Oh well. At least the Dodgers are in first place. Nomar Garciaparra is a man.

4 Comments:

Blogger Big Sky Girl said...

The Super Bowl XXIV reference is low man. Really, really low.

But I'm comforted by the fact that the 49ers have gone 4-12, 2-14 and 7-9 their last three seasons. Good thing you've adopted the Vikings, at least they can break even. ;-)

And speaking of Nomar, after today we should let his wife join the US Team. Though passing the physical could be a problem.

Mon Jun 12, 05:02:00 PM CDT  
Blogger T-Mac said...

Come on, man, who didn't see that one coming? I'm just looking forward to the world basketball championships this summer because I've got a feeling we're gonna rebound from Athens, pun intended.

Mon Jun 12, 08:35:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Your Friendly Neighborhood Clark Bar said...

T-Money:

It's not so much the loss that surprised me (as much as I wanted them to win) so much as the utter ass-kicking we were handed by a small, Eastern European nation that is not even remotely as cool as the Ukraine...Because Ukraine is not weak. Ukraine is strong.

Bold and the Beltway:

Hey, I needed to reference one of the alltime greatest blowouts in the history of American sports. Elway's Blunder immediately came to mind.

And the 49ers will be back. They still have over twice as many Superbowls as Denver does, mind you.

Tue Jun 13, 08:47:00 AM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, they're poised to play Italy next, and though I want the US to go somewhere in the World Cup, I'll be rooting for my heritage. ;)

Wed Jun 14, 07:45:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home