Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Joseph Duncan

There are days when it is really difficult to oppose the death penalty. Today is one of those days. The news has been out for awhile now that Shasta Groene and her alleged kidnapper, Joseph Duncan, were found in Idaho. Soon after, the authorities announced that they believe they've found Dylan Groene's remains outside of Missoula. I can only assume that the two are connected and that Duncan told them where to look.

It's difficult to react with anything but rage. It makes me sick to my stomach to think about what he must have done to those kids...or what it must have been like for them. I just hope to God they didn't have to witness what happened to their family.

Anyway, I'm not going to write much about this. It's already being hashed and rehashed on the 24 hour news networks. This evening I stumbled upon this guy's blog, entitled The Fifth Nail. He seems to be confessing to other crimes that he apparently wasn't caught doing and detailing his downward spiral. What a sick rationalization. He talks about how he's never committed pedophilia and specifically never committed the crime he was convicted of back in 1980 but then in the same breath justifies performing sexual acts on children. He acts like such a victim.

My one departing hope is that the police are wrong in their suspicions that they've found Dylan's remains. Maybe it's foolish hope, but I pray that kid's still alive out there...

3 Comments:

Blogger Big Sky Girl said...

It's a vain hope, but perhaps what's important is that either way he is in a better place.

Pedophilia is the worst of all crimes, if Dante were alive today there would be a special circle of hell for people who harm children.

Tue Jul 05, 08:12:00 PM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's crazy that I actually went to NDSU at the same time that Duncan attended it. He doesn't look familiar but it sure does freak me out.

Chas

Tue Jul 05, 08:21:00 PM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No kidding. If he is actually executed, it'll be one of the first capital punishment enforcements in Idaho for the last 20 years. I have problems with the capital punishment system, but I really can't think of a better candidate for breaking that 20 year streak than this bastard.

Sun Jul 17, 10:50:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home